Kovax Waterproof 1000
High quality waterproof sandpaper from Kovax from Japan. Available from 600 to 2000 grit in sheets of 230x280mm. Ideal for applying wet finishing as oil and creating a slurry to fill pores. Of course also used a lot to finish lacquer in the traditional way. Although we also offer the time-saving drying sanding systems from Kovax with these waterproofs a smooth result is within reach.
Kovax waterproof sheets are available from 600-2000 grit and take you from finish to polish.
Ensure a well-sanded base for example with Kovax Assilex.
- Apply your oil and gently rub it in with your waterproof 600. This creates a slurry of fine sanding dust and oil that will sit in the pores of the wood and gives you a natural pore filler.
- Wipe away any excess oil with a tightly folded lint-free cloth or firm paper at a 90 to45 degrees angle across the grain. Work in sections if necessary.
- Repeat in the same way and allow these two first layers to dry for at least 6 hours.
- Apply the next layer with the 800 in the same manner. Depending on the number of desired layers, repeat and let dry for another 6 hours.
- Repeat with the 1000.
- Polish in the same way with the 2000, but sand gently in 1 direction and rub it out with a soft lint-free cloth or polishing cotton. Repeat for extra gloss and apply a final layer with only the cloth that you can polish up to high gloss.
- Let it harden for at least 24 hours and then polish it with a cloth or polishing cotton.
- Important! Let cloths or towels used with oil dry flat. A lot of finishing oils contain linseed, which is self-flammable when left as a wad or folded.
You can sand paint layers with Assilex and Tolecut. If you still use waterproof, you can work as follows:
- Take a spray bottle with water and prepare a soft clean cloth.
- Make sure you place your project at a good working height where you can look over the surface of your instrument with good light. Work in sections.
- Drip water on the surface and sand gently with the 600 waterproof and the water in one direction.
- Dry the surface with the cloth and look over the surface.
- Sanded parts will be matt, unsanded parts will be slightly glossy.
- Continue till you see almost no shiny dots and repeat with the 800 and 1000 till all spots are gone. Polish with the 2000. Sand in one direction.
- Make sure that your sandpaper stays moist and check regularly.
- Finally polish with for example Menzerna for a super gloss.
Sanding flat surfaces
For sanding flat surfaces, we recommend a hard surface under the sandpaper especially with the 600 and 800 grit. This gives the least chance of uneven removal of material or finger pressure. A cork block is ideal, a block of wood is also possible, but be alert for any hard corners and sharp edges.
Sand round surfaces
For sanding round parts such as the inside of horns, you can take a piece of PVC tube and stick your sandpaper around it. Make sure you do not have overlapping parts.
- Use Buflex waterproof 2000 as the final step for that supersmooth finish with your oil, or to reduce your polishing time with your lacquer finish.
Good to know!
At Guitar Goods we do our very best to make things as easy and fun as possible, for example:
Kovax sanding set oil finish€16.37 €13.53 Regular Price €17.45
Kovax sanding set lacquer finish€19.36 €16.00 Regular Price €20.50